10 hopping fun rabbit facts!
Discover more about these adorable small mammals…
Cute, fuzzy, fluffy and hopping mad, who doesn’t love these adorable creatures, also known as bunnies? Check out our top ten rabbit facts!
1) A baby rabbit is called a kit, a female is called a doe and a male is called a buck.
2) Rabbits are very social creatures that live in groups. They live in warrens — a series of tunnels and rooms that they dig underground.
3) A rabbit’s teeth never stop growing! Instead, they’re gradually worn down as the rabbit chews on grasses, wildflowers and vegetables — meaning they never get too long.
4) Rabbits perform an athletic leap, known as a ‘binky‘, when they’re happy — performing twists and kicks in mid air!
5) Rabbits’ eyes are on the sides of their head, meaning they can see almost all the way around them. This helps them to keep a close watch for predators while they’re going about their business!
6) Like cats, happy rabbits purr when they’re content and relaxed.
7) Rabbits are amazing athletes — they can jump as high as 90 centimetres in one leap!
8) A rabbit’s best feature? Their long ears! Growing up to 10 centimetres in length, rabbits can turn their ears by 180 degrees, keeping a careful listen out for predators.
9) One of the world’s best-known rabbits is the Warner Bros cartoon character, Bugs Bunny — who’s often seen munching on a carrot! In fact, carrots aren’t a natural part of a rabbit’s diet and can give bunnies an upset stomach if they eat too many.
10) Rabbits are very effective baby-makers! Mother rabbits are pregnant for between 28-31 days, giving birth to up to 14 baby rabbits – called kittens – in a single litter. There are over 45 million rabbits in the UK alone!