10 ‘Horrible’ Facts about London!
How much do you know about London, England’s capital city?
Well, gang, we’re taking a trip back in time to find out some quirky – and slightly gruesome! – facts about this historic city…
1) The Romans first built London nearly 2000 years ago – but Boudicca, the queen of a Celtic tribe, burnt it to the ground a few years later!
Did you know that we have a FREE downloadable Boudicca primary resource? Great for teachers, homeschoolers and parents alike!
2) King Richard the Lionheart needed money for his Crusade battles – he said he’d even sell London if he could find someone to buy it!
3) William Wallace was brought to London for a special reason – to be hung, drawn and quartered! Not a very nice way to go!
4) People in London believed whipping yourself was a way to avoid getting the plague, which was one of London’s most common and deadly diseases in the 17th Century.
5) Elizabeth I got rid of the job known as “Groom of the Stool” – which was the name for the person who looked after the monarch when they went to the toilet!
6) The inhabitants of medieval London (both human and animal) produced 50,000kg of poop a day – that”s more than six double decker buses!
7) King Charles I was beheaded in Whitehall, near the houses of parliament. The people watching the ceremony were allowed to go up and dip handkerchiefs in his blood – it was believed the blood of a king would cure their illness.
8) Until she became Queen, Queen Victoria had to hold someone’s hand whenever she walked down the stairs!
9) Bran the Blessed (who was a very early English king) was beheaded and his head was buried under the White Mount (now the Tower of London) to keep England safe. But it was stolen – along with two other heads.
10) In 1369, King Edward III demanded that butchers be banned from slaughtering animals within the City of London because of the stench from blood and offal (internal organs and waste parts). Rotting meat was commonly dumped in The River Thames. Yuk!
For more Horrible facts – and to see Britain’s historical figures come to life! – be sure to catch Horrible Histories, Barmy Britain: Part Two! at The Garrick Theatre, London.
London is we’re i living,
Cool!London is one of my favourite cities.
this helpe me with work
Interesting but weird!
Well this is very gross facts but it help me with my homework so ya its good
Who new London used to be a gross place to be
Its not that gruesome
I learned more facts by this website AWESOME!
revoulting which and awesome
discusting but cool!
weird and cool
Disgusting and weird
I like this website because it is fun and interesting
I love this website even though it has horrible and crazy things. LOL!
xD Black Death remember ?
taking away peoples head were they mad
I went to London and I loved it! I didnt know this stuff.
I like it. You really taught me something about London; it used to be a very gross place!
Wow, discusting facts!
This is a good website !!!!!!!!!!
Crazy!!!!! How would think it!
Ok... it wasnt that gruesome.
Ilike the fact about it and it helps me luarn everything!
I do not want to live in london anymore
it was a awesome time with you!
Like you said horrible but amazing
Its amazing I love it!!!! Good work
Cool I mean good for learning
Your Right it was horrible
that was amazing thanks I know a lot
Why did you write horrible facts about London you could make them good also but it was not bad so thank you Ngkids
Wow, Ill never think of London in the same way...
Thanks now I know more about London.
Didnt no these things
There was a lot I didnt know
Those were very horrible
for some reason london makes me uncomfortable
London was so weird from now
wow london was sick before now
This made me hungry
cool but gggrrrroooosssssseeeee!!!!!!!!!
Yuck but at least we learnt some cool amazin gross facts
this is disturbing
yucky facts ive found out something new!!!!
Yuck gory facts!!!
awsome!!!!!!!!!!!! that is cool!!!! thanx. that TOTALLY answered my question.ng kids ROCKS!!!
Ive seen barmy Britain part 2 at the London Garrick Theatre
thanks ng kids for these gruesome facts! !
I love London, too!
I love London!