15 fun facts about the Queen
Join us on a trip back through history to discover our favourite facts about the Queen…
On 21 April 2017, Queen Elizabeth II turned 91! From creating her own breed of dog to sending 50,000 Christmas cards, Her Majesty’s certainly been busy over the years.
Join us on a trip back through history to discover our favourite facts about the Queen.
Congratulations! You’ve found Rascal the pup who’s helping the Suffragettes win women the right to vote! Find Rascal on four more articles, and you can enter our competition!
15 facts about the Queen
1. Queen Elizabeth II was born at 2.40am on 21 April 1926
To parents the Duke and Duchess of York, who later became King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother)
2. She was crowned Queen on 2 June 1953
Watched by a TV audience of 20 million people
Did you know that we have a FREE downloadable Queen Elizabeth II primary resource? Great for teachers, homeschoolers and parents alike!
3. She is the longest reigning monarch ever in Britain
Beating even Queen Victoria (her great-grandma!)
4. As Queen, she has seen 12 UK Prime Ministers come to power
5. Her favourite dogs are corgis
She even invented a new breed of dog when her corgi mated with a dachshund belonging to her sister, Princess Margaret, creating the “dorgi”.
6. She’s the only person in the UK allowed to drive without a licence
And she still drives to this day!
7. The Queen has two birthdays
Her actual birthday – 21 April – and her official birthday, which is held on a Saturday in June – when the weather’s better!
8. The Queen’s birthplace is now a fancy Cantonese restaurant
Called Hakkasan, at 17 Bruton Street in Mayfair – we hope she likes a takeaway!
9. The Queen first sent an email in 1976!
10. She has many hobbies
Including horse riding, pigeon racing, and football – she’s an Arsenal supporter!
11. Queen Elizabeth became a homeowner at just six years old
When the people of Wales gifted her a house in the grounds of Windsor’s Royal Lodge. Named Y Bwthyn Bach, it means “little cottage”.
12. The Queen has sent around 50,000 Christmas cards
– and counting!
13. She owns an elephant, two giant turtles, a jaguar and a pair of sloths
Presents from other countries, all of which live in London Zoo.
14. Princess Elizabeth made her first radio broadcast in October 1940, during the Second World War.
15. Even the monarch can go undercover sometimes
On a recent low-key trip to Scotland, she met some American tourists while walking. Asked if she lived round here, she mentioned that she had a house nearby, and when asked if she’d ever met the Queen she simply pointed at her policeman and said, “No, but he has!”
Check out our cool comic about Queen Elizabeth II
… and print it out, here!