15 fun facts about Queen Elizabeth II
From inventing a new dog breed to publishing her first Instagram post, discover our favourite facts about this ruler…
Queen Elizabeth II reigned for 70 years, from 1953 to 2022. Join us on a trip back through history to discover our favourite facts about her reign…Likes
15 facts about the Queen
1. Queen Elizabeth II was born at 2.40am on 21 April 1926To parents the Duke and Duchess of York, who later became King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother).
2. She was crowned Queen on 2 June 1953Watched by a TV audience of 20 million people. Her reign ended on 8 September 2022, when she passed away peacefully at Balmoral Castle, Scotland, and her son, King Charles III, was crowned.
Did you know that we have a FREE downloadable Queen Elizabeth II primary resource? Great for teachers, homeschoolers and parents alike!
3. She was the longest reigning monarch ever in BritainBeating even Queen Victoria (her great-great-grandma!).
4. As Queen, she was served by 15 UK Prime MinistersIncluding Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher and more recently, Boris Johnson.
5. Her favourite dogs were corgisShe even invented a new breed of dog when her corgi mated with a dachshund belonging to her sister, Princess Margaret, creating the “dorgi”.
6. She was the only person in the UK allowed to drive without a licenceAnd she kept driving even in her later years!
7. Queen Elizabeth II had two birthdaysHer actual birthday – 21 April – and her official birthday, which was held on a Saturday in June – when the weather’s better!
8. Her birthplace is now a fancy Cantonese restaurantCalled Hakkasan, at 17 Bruton Street in Mayfair – we hope she liked a takeaway!
9. Queen Elizabeth II first sent an email in 1976… and published her first Instagram post in 2019!
10. She had many hobbiesIncluding horse riding, pigeon racing and football – she was an Arsenal supporter!
11. Queen Elizabeth became a homeowner at just six years oldWhen the people of Wales gifted her a house in the grounds of Windsor’s Royal Lodge. It was named Y Bwthyn Bach, which means “little cottage”.
12. In her lifetime, Queen Elizabeth II sent around 50,000 Christmas cards
– what a lot of post!
13. She owned an elephant, two giant turtles, a jaguar and a pair of sloths
Presents from other countries, all of which live in London Zoo.
14. Princess Elizabeth made her first radio broadcast in October 1940, during the Second World War.
15. Even the monarch went undercover sometimes…
On a recent low-key trip to Scotland, she met some American tourists while walking. When the tourists asked if she lived locally, she mentioned that she had a house nearby, and when asked if she’d ever met the Queen she simply pointed at her security guard and said, “No, but he has!”
Check out our cool comic about Queen Elizabeth II… and print it out, here!
If you enjoyed this article, make sure you check out some of our other awesome history pages, too! Go back in time to discover Queen Elizabeth I or Queen Victoria, then jump to present day to learn about King Charles III…
LEAVE A COMMENT
Your comment will be checked and approved shortly.
HAS BEEN ADDED!