Take a deep breath and join us as we dive to the depths of the sea…
Bursting with wildlife and teeming with mysteries to be solved, our oceans are one of the most amazing habitats on Earth. Take a deep breath, gang, as we dive into our ocean facts…
Top ten ocean facts
1. Around 70% of the planet’s surface is covered by oceans. In fact, the oceans hold about 96.5% of all water on Earth.
2. The largest ocean on Earth is the Pacific Ocean, covering around 30% of the Earth’s surface.
Love marine life? You’d love our magazine!
Ask your parents to check out Nat Geo Kids magazine!
3. The name “Pacific Ocean” comes form the Latin name Tepre Pacificum, “peaceful sea”.
4. The deepest known area of the Earth’s oceans is known as the Mariana Trench. It’s deepest point measures 11km. That’s a long dive down!
5. The world’s oceans are home to incredible creatures that are masters of disguise! Take a look for yourself…
Did you know that we have a FREE downloadable ocean ecosystems primary resource? Great for teachers, homeschoolers and parents alike!
6. The longest mountain range in the world is found under water. Stretching over 56,000km, the Mid-Oceanic Ridge is a mountain chain that runs along the centre of the ocean basins.
7. About 70% of the oxygen we breathe is produced by the oceans.
For World Oceans Day, we chatted to young Nat Geo Kids readers to find out what they think about our amazing oceans… What do YOU think?
8. The sea is home to the world’s largest living structure – the Great Barrier Reef. Measuring around 2,600km, it can even be seen from the Moon!
9. We have only explored about 5% of the world’s oceans. There’s a lot more to be discovered!
10. The sea can be described as the planet’s mega museum. There are more artefacts and remnants of history in the ocean than in all of the world’s museums combined! Pretty amazing, huh?
Did you know that we have a FREE downloadable Plastic Pollution primary resource, all about protecting our oceans and sea life? Great for teachers, homeschoolers and parents alike!
I love all these ocean facts, thank you so much! I am using them for my writing!
I love the ocean so it is important to look after it
how do u find stuff so great it always blows my mind
I think it is very cool
Add more please!
Lets take action!
I ❤️ national geographic
this is so cool
I love it
OMG.This reely helpd me whith my leson.Tangk you.
cool i need for school
how do you guys know all of this
This is interesting! I really like learning about the ocean and its creatures!
this help me learn alot
The Ocean is big
I really liked this. There were quite a few things I didn’t know and it was very interesting.