Take a deep breath and join us as we dive to the depths of the sea…
The oceans hold about 96.5% of all of Earth’s water and is one of the most amazing places on earth! Bursting with wildlife and teeming with mysteries to be solved, we’ve still only explored a tiny fraction. Take a deep breath, gang, as we dive into our ocean facts!
Did you know that we have a FREE downloadable ocean ecosystems primary resource? Great for teachers, homeschoolers and parents alike!
Top ten ocean facts
- 1. Around 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by oceans.
- 2. The largest ocean on Earth is the Pacific Ocean, covering around 30% of the Earth’s surface.
- 3. The name “Pacific Ocean” comes form the Latin name Tepre Pacificum, “peaceful sea”.
- 4. The deepest known area of the Earth’s oceans is known as the Mariana Trench. It’s deepest point measures 11km. That’s a long dive down!
- 5. The world’s oceans are home to incredible creatures that are masters of disguise! Take a look for yourself…
- 6. The longest mountain range in the world is found under water. Stretching over 56,000km, the Mid-Oceanic Ridge is a mountain chain that runs along the centre of the ocean basins.
- 7. About 70% of the oxygen we breathe is produced by the oceans.
- 8. The sea is home to the world’s largest living structure – the Great Barrier Reef. Measuring around 2,600km, it can even be seen from the Moon!
- 9. We have only explored about 5% of the world’s oceans. There’s a lot more to be discovered!
- 10. The sea can be described as the planet’s mega museum. There are more artefacts and remnants of history in the ocean than in all of the world’s museums combined!
Pretty amazing, huh?
Did you know that we have a FREE downloadable Plastic Pollution primary resource, all about protecting our oceans and sea life? Great for teachers, homeschoolers and parents alike!