15 cool things about rainforests!
Join us on a tropical trip…
Join us as we discover one of our planet’s most fascinating habitats, with these cool facts about the rainforest!
Facts about the rainforest
1) Only around 6% of Earth’s land surface is rainforest – but about half of all animal and plant species live there!
2) In Central American forests, rival strawberry poison dart frogs might wrestle for up to 20 minutes!
3) It can take ten minutes for a falling raindrop to travel from a rainforest”s thick canopy to the floor.
4) A tree known as the idiot fruit grows in Australia’s Daintree rainforest.
5) The rhinoceros hornbill bird from southeast Asian forests has a hornlike structure on its head that looks like an extra beak.
6) Rainforests get at least 250cm of rain a year. Sometimes it’s almost double that at 450cm.
7) The Amazon rainforest in South America is so big that if it were a country, it would be the ninth biggest in the world.
8) Latin American forests are home to black howler monkeys, whose calls can be heard almost 5km away!
9) Veiled stinkhorn fungi, found in tropical rainforests, smell like rotting food!
10) The Korowai people of New Guinea live in tree houses as high as 45m off the ground!
11) A quarter of ingredients in modern medicines come from rainforest plants.
12) 80% of the flowers in the Australian rainforests are not found anywhere else in the world.
13) Living in Central American rainforests, a sloth can carry algae, beetles and cockroaches in its fur!
14) Some pine trees in Tasmania’s temperate rainforests can live for 2,000 years!
15) A lake inside a rainforest on the Caribbean island of Dominica sizzles at around 88°C.