Valentine’s Day card: Art primary resource
Get creative and practise printing, stamping and painting
This Art primary resource gives children an opportunity to get creative and practise printing, stamping and painting by making a Valentine’s Day card.
Pupils will be challenged to follow instructions to make a card design, and adapt those instructions for their own creativity in our National Geographic Kids’ Art primary resource sheet.
The teaching resource can be used as a printed handout for instruction in class time, or for display on the interactive whiteboard.
Activity: Ask children to complete the task on the page or adapt it for their own individual design with differing colours and multiple prints.
N.B. The following information for mapping the resource documents to the school curriculum is specifically tailored to the English National Curriculum and Scottish Curriculum for Excellence. We are currently working to bring specifically tailored curriculum resource links for our other territories; including South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. If you have any queries about our upcoming curriculum resource links, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This Art primary resource assists with teaching the following Key Stage 1 Art objectives from the National Curriculum:
Pupils should be taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
National Curriculum Key Stage 2 Art objective:
Pupils should be taught:
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
This Valentine’s Day Art resource assists with teaching the following Expressive arts Early level objectives from the Scottish Curriculum for Excellence:
- I have the freedom to discover and choose ways to create images and objects using a variety of materials.
Scottish Curriculum for Excellence First level Expressive arts objectives:
- I have the opportunity to choose and explore a range of media and technologies to create images and objects, discovering their effects and suitability for specific tasks.
- I can create and present work using the visual elements of line, shape, form, colour, tone, pattern and texture.
Scottish Curriculum for Excellence Second level Expressive arts objectives:
- I can create and present work that shows developing skill in using the visual elements and concepts.
Scottish Curriculum for Excellence Third level Expressive arts objectives:
- I can use and combine the visual elements and concepts to convey ideas, thoughts and feelings in expressive and design work.
Scottish Curriculum for Excellence Fourth level Expressive arts objectives:
- I can use the visual elements and concepts with sensitivity to express qualities and relationships and convey information, thoughts and feelings. I can use my skills and creativity to generate original ideas in my expressive and design work.
wow this is so cool i will try to do something like this for my parents when i make them a Valentine card i am sure they will love it i am sure they will be really surprised about it thank you national geographic kids for this idea