Check out our awesome photography tips!
Top tips on how to take the perfect picture
Get set for our National Geographic Photography Contest for Kids 2016!
Give it your best “shot” for a chance to win an incredible family holiday to The Bahamas! Check out these videos for some top tips on how to take the perfect picture…
Photography tips: Pet portraits
Photograph by Diamond Girl, My Shot
– Distract your pooch with a toy! Offer up something to gnaw on and you’ll soon find your subject so busy playing that it won’t even notice you and your camera.
– Be sure to sit quietly.
– Use your camera’s exposure-compensation setting to reduce the exposure when photographing animals with black coats.
– When your animal is sleeping or resting try taking the time to focus on an ear, paw, or other distinct feature.
– Increase the shutter speed on your camera to capture animal action shots!
– Photographing pets playing together can result in a photo – or a series of photos – that really tells a story.
Photograph by bushman, My Shot
– Photographing through water makes things look blurry, the closer you can get to your friend (or fish), the sharper the image!
– Water absorbs colors such as red, orange, and yellow. Staying close to the surface of the water where the sun is piercing the water, can help keep the color looking natural. If you do want to go deeper, consider using an underwater flash or strobe.
– Photographing through aquarium glass at an angle means light will have to travel through more glass, which will get in the way of the subject you’re trying to capture, so make sure you shoot straight on – oh and avoid using the flash!
– Watch the fish in the tank for a while before you start photographing. Observe how they swim around so you’ll be able to predict their movements and figure out their favorite hiding places. Getting good shots of fish is all about being in the right place at the right time.
Now put your skills to the test and enter the National Geographic Photography Contest for Kids 2016! Good luck, gang!